19u30-22u: Homegroup at Scott & Jeremy's. As part of the preparation for the Diocese in Europe's contribution to the Shared Conversations (http://www.sharedconversations.org/) we'll be watching the first of three acclaimed BBC programmes presented by Diarmaid MacCullogh, professor of church history at the University of Oxford and an Anglican deacon, Sex and the Church (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/3wfcTdPyBtnmbDzYphW9rZc/prof-diarmaid-macculloch).
Wednesday 29 April
13u10-13u50: Philosophy Café at the Stuk Café. Jack will seek advice and comment to help him shape an article he's writing on the abolition of the death penalty in France, using Albert Camus' Réflexions sur la guillotine as a text (the full text is attached).
Saturday 2 May
19u: Pot-luck supper and Games Evening at Alec & Linnea's. Please bring something tasty to eat or drink. NB: Axis and Allies will not be played tonight
Sunday 3 May (Easter V)
A normal Sunday for once!
16u30: Confirmation Class in the sacristy
17u30: Choir Practice
18u30: Holy Communion: Jack will celebrate and preach. Bouke's new Dutch translation of Eucharistic prayer D will be used for the first time.
- The Church of England Ministry Experience Scheme (Cemes http://www.callwaiting.org.uk/) will operate in two local locations from September 2015 with up to four candidates being selected. An advertisement inviting candidates to apply and setting out the terms and conditions of the scheme will appear on 8 May on the diocesan website (http://europe.anglican.org/) and in the Church Times (http://jobs.churchtimes.co.uk/) and will be copied into our weekly M&Ms email - so watch this space!
- We had a super Annual General Meeting on 26 April. The parish accounts were approved; Andrew Pimm was appointed parish safeguarding (= child protection) champion, and, following elections to the Kerkfabriek and Parochial Church Council, the line-ups of our two church committees are as follows:
- Kerkfabriek: Voorzitter: Léon van Ommen, Secretaris: Damien Picard, Penningmeester: Andrew Pimm, Leden: Sarah Jones, Bouke Stomphorst, Priester (niet stempt): Jack McDonald.
- Parochial Church Council: Chair: Jack McDonald, Churchwardens: Jane McBride, Sarah Jones, Secretary: Zsuzska Kallay, Treasurer: Andrew Pimm, Members: Bob Blasdel, Scott McColl, David Ketch, Mary Noll, Jeremy Law.
- Our trip to watch the film Selma, about Martin Luther King, went very well. Here is the hit song of the film, which Jack can't get out of his head!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzbKaDPMoDU Footage of MLK's great "I have a dream" speech, delivered on 28 August 1963 and surely one of the best speeches ever delivered in history, can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UV1fs8lAbg
- I thank Zsuzska for this summary of how to understand what the British actually mean when we're talking to you!!!: http://www.tickld.com/x/30-things-british-people-say-vs-what-we-actually-mean-9-is-perfect
Tot seffens from Jack x
Daily Anglican prayer:
Jeremy Heuslein's blog (former member of M&Ms, now on the staff of Holy Trinity Brussels, and he's just been recommended for training as an Anglican priest):